Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George



I love castles. I may have mentioned this before in my reviews. I even told my husband the other day that if we ever build another house, I want it in the shape of a castle. I want the secret passages, the tapestries, the whole thing. However, I've now changed a few details. I now want a castle like Castle Glower. Too bad I don't have magic to make it happen.

Here is the synopsis:

Tuesdays at Castle Glower are Princess Celie's favorite days. That's because on Tuesdays the castle adds a new room, a turret, or sometimes even an entire wing. No one ever knows what the castle will do next, and no one-other than Celie, that is-takes the time to map out the new additions. But when King and Queen Glower are ambushed and their fate is unknown, it's up to Celie, with her secret knowledge of the castle's never-ending twists and turns, to protect their home and save their kingdom.


This book is a great book for any age.  In fact, I may just read it to my children before bedtime.  Its such a fun story with great characters, big adventures, and a magical castle!! The perfect bedtime story.

I loved the characters in this book.  Each of them were well-written and easy to love.  Lilah is the older sister who feels the burdens of keeping things running.  Rolf has been trained well and makes an excellent prince and king-to-be.  And I just plain love Celie. She's feisty, she's curious and she has a good head on her shoulders.  It's no wonder that the castle loves her so much.

The twists and turns of the story make it a fun read.  I loved the hallways and the way the castle moves things around to assist the children in saving their kingdom.  The castle is quirky and makes rooms more luxurious or tiny dungeon-like rooms, depending on much it likes the people staying in those rooms.  It also places the bedrooms as close or as far away from the throne room as it thought the people should be, depending on how fit they were for the throne.  Yes, I think I need a Castle Glower.

You can learn more about Jessica Day George here : www.jessicadaygeorge.com


No comments:

Post a Comment