Friday, March 30, 2012

Partials by Dan Wells


Dan Wells has a been a favorite author of mine since reading I am Not a Serial Killer. I stared at the cover of the book for quite some time as it sat on a bookshelf in my bookstore, begging me to read it. I finally sat down and read it, enjoying every second of it.

When I found out he was coming out with another series, I was thrilled. Partials is completely different from his original trilogy but it's still his incredible writing that pulls you in.  Here is the synopsis:


The human race is all but extinct after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by RM, a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island while the Partials have mysteriously retreated. The threat of the Partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to RM in more than a decade. Our time is running out.
Kira, a sixteen-year-old medic-in-training, is on the front lines of this battle, seeing RM ravage the community while mandatory pregnancy laws have pushed what's left of humanity to the brink of civil war, and she's not content to stand by and watch. But as she makes a desperate decision to save the last of her race, she will find that the survival of humans and Partials alike rests in her attempts to uncover the connections between them—connections that humanity has forgotten, or perhaps never even knew were there.

I went to Dan Wells' book signing, where he read chapter 10 to us. I was excited to get my hands on the book. As soon as I got home, I pushed all of my other books aside and dug in. I was not disappointed.

Kira is a strong willed girl who wants the best for her patients. She did what she could to fight for what was right for her city and those in it. I loved the support from her friends as they helped her fight to find the antidote for RM. 

There are a few different "enemies" that are portrayed in this book, which I like because it keeps you turning the page. The government is doing everything they can to keep control of the people, including questioning your comings and goings, and lowering the age when they want you to start having children to sixteen years old. The Voice wants the government to repeal the law and allow more freedoms. And then of course, there are the partials. Kira must do everything she can to find a cure, even if that means going against her government and everything that has protected her.

The imagery of what New York and the rest of the east coast could look like if the world was wiped out was just amazing. I could see the vines taking over buildings and the wild animals wandering the streets.

This is a must read. I can't wait for the second book in this series.  

You can learn more about Dan and his other books here: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net/

You can purchase his books here: www.amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment