Thursday, March 1, 2012

Time Gangsters by Berin Stephens


I went to an Authorpalooza at Barnes & Noble to find more books and to visit friends. I found out that Berin Stephens had a new book coming out, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.  Time travel and 1920's gangsters. What more could you want in a book?

I was excited when it finally came out this February and headed over to his book launch. After taking quizzes about events in the 1920's and another about gangster terms (which I royally failed), I headed home to read the book.

I loved it! Here is the synopsis:

When Billy discovers a hidden cache of ancient coins, it isn't long before a gang of thugs swipes them right from under Billy. Plotting to use the magical properties of the coins to seize power in the past, these power-hungry gangsters will do anything to reach their goal. Their future threatened, Billy and Danny must race through time to steal back the coins---before history is changed forever!

There's nothing like waking up to a guy holding a tommy sitting at the end of your bed. And the action just goes from there. It isn't just Billy's house that was broken into either. His next door neighbor, and cousin, also had someone break into her room. They meet up and try to figure out what's going on.

They discover coins that are magic, hidden in Danny's room. Each coin (or medallion as Billy's friend, Wheezy, liked to remind them) has a magical property and Billy wanted them all for himself. Soon he, Danny, and their friends are mixed up in time travel drama.

This was a very fun, well written YA novel. It's a great read for any age and I can't wait to share it with my son. The terminology was great and the way he characterized the gangsters allowed you to hear them speaking gangster talk. Now if only I could borrow their teleportation medallion...

You can purchase this book here: www.amazon.com
                                      and here: www.deseretbook.com

His website is here: http://berinstephens.com/

1 comment: